Thursday, March 29, 2012

HOME USER AND SQL

I am a simple home user, I do not develop nor do I extract information for
analysis or whatever - do I still need SQL? Can I just remove SQL?
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 02:54:01 -0700, Denis Arial wrote:

>I am a simple home user, I do not develop nor do I extract information for
>analysis or whatever - do I still need SQL? Can I just remove SQL?
Hi Denis,
If you installed it yourself to have a look and decided not to pursue it
any further, it's probably safe to uninstall. However, if SQL was
installed as part of another program, that other program probably uses
it, and might sstop working if you decide to uninstall SQL Server.
What you can do is stop the SQL Server service (if it is currently
active) and change the startup settings to not start on system startup.
That way, programs using SQL Server will either fail, or (if they are
able to) start the service themselves. The former is very easy to
notice; the second can also be noted if you regularly check what
services are running.
Use the PC for some time, making sure to use all your relevant programs
(including those you use only once a month, and make sure to use all
functions in a program you typically need). If you got no errors and the
SQL Server service was not started, it's safe to assume that none of
your programs uses it, so you can proceed to uninstall.
Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
My SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis

No comments:

Post a Comment