Tuesday, March 27, 2012

hlp ... new with sub-report

I dont like to use subreports and havent ... but now I have a legit need for
one. I have a report which has to use 2 data sources but correlate them.
There will be a summary table followed by detail for the summarized resource
and then another table needs to follow that which is also contains separate
detail for the same summarized resource (but from a different data source).
So the report will need nested lists - an outer list for resource group and
an inner list for the 2 detail tables (from separate data sources) for the
resource group) - I hope that makes sense. Essentially Summary - detail -
detail .... Summary - detail - detail. Anyway ... I have a report which has
the Summary and the first detail ... I tried to add a subreport and it wont
render. I can run the subreport separately and it works ... I have the
parameter values supplied ... but all I see on the rendered report
(containing the subreport ) is error - Subreport could not be shown. No
clues as to what the problem is ... can someone help me 'deleted and recreated the same report over again that I was going to use for
the subreport ... and it seems to work ... I dont understand what would be
different ... its the same report just created all over again. Sometimes
this tool is so qwerky! I still dont have it repeating just yet though ...
so the jury is still out on whether it will work or not. To have the
subreport repeat every time a group changes ... I have to enclose it in a
rectangle with the other table that it is tied to? I was reading this from
Microsoft Reporting Services In Action which said that to tie it to a data
region ... put it in a rectangle with the region it is tied to. We'll see
how that works.
"MJT" wrote:
> I dont like to use subreports and havent ... but now I have a legit need for
> one. I have a report which has to use 2 data sources but correlate them.
> There will be a summary table followed by detail for the summarized resource
> and then another table needs to follow that which is also contains separate
> detail for the same summarized resource (but from a different data source).
> So the report will need nested lists - an outer list for resource group and
> an inner list for the 2 detail tables (from separate data sources) for the
> resource group) - I hope that makes sense. Essentially Summary - detail -
> detail .... Summary - detail - detail. Anyway ... I have a report which has
> the Summary and the first detail ... I tried to add a subreport and it wont
> render. I can run the subreport separately and it works ... I have the
> parameter values supplied ... but all I see on the rendered report
> (containing the subreport ) is error - Subreport could not be shown. No
> clues as to what the problem is ... can someone help me '

No comments:

Post a Comment